Home » Unexplainable Thought Won’t Go Away

Unexplainable Thought Won’t Go Away

From a teen in the U.K.: Hello. This is for my friend and I’m asking if anyone has ever had a problem where they have this thought in the back of their minds that is constantly bugging them and making them feel awful. Yet they don’t know what the thought is. And if they could explain the thought to someone, then it wouldn’t be a problem in the first place.

It is a bit complex, but I was hoping there was someone who had a similar issue. And if so, what kind of disorder is this and what kind of treatments are available?

Unexplainable Thought Won’t Go Away

A.

I can’t make a diagnosis third hand or by letter, of course. But I can tell you that this kind of thing is sometimes a type of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder. A thought gets started and goes around and around and around in a person’s head. It seems to come from out of nowhere and leave just as mysteriously. In some ways, it’s similar to what people call an “Earworm” — when a song gets stuck in your head and you just can’t make it go away.

Fortunately, this is treatable. Your friend can learn some techniques for getting in control of the thoughts. I suggest your friend see a therapist for some coaching about how to turn down (and eventually shut off) the thoughts in his head.

I wish your friend well,

Unexplainable Thought Won’t Go Away