Home » Ask the Therapist » I Feel Like I’m Going Insane

I Feel Like I’m Going Insane

I am a 15 year old girl, I have suffered from depression and anxiety for about 5 years, but lately it’s been a lot more, for the past couple months physically I feel like I’m not controlling myself, I get angry or sad within seconds of being happy without control I’ll start to yell or breakout in violence.

No matter how little the situation my brain makes everything more then it needs to be. Just a simple conversation with my parents can lead to what seems like a panic attack that I can’t get out of. Having the feeling of ripping out my hair or screaming and I cant. I’ve tried to talk to my parents about these things but they just think I’m lying or I’m crazy and I’m starting to feel like I’m crazy myself. (From Canada)

I Feel Like I’m Going Insane

A.

It sounds like it is difficult for you to get some relief from these intense reactions. I’m not certain what is keeping you from being able to regulate your emotions, but I can tell you that there are people who know about such things and can help. Give your parents one more chance by asking if you could get a physical from your general physician or pediatrician. Parents will often respond better if they think it is something medical rather than emotional. Once you get an appointment ask to talk to the doctor alone and explain the reactions you have. If you can’t see the physician alone explain them anyway. Either way the physician will then be in a good position to talk with your parents about getting some therapy — or an evaluation with someone who can help.

If a physical isn’t possible talk to you high school guidance counselor. He or she can help come up with a plan to help.

I Feel Like I’m Going Insane