Im 17 years old. ive lied about having an eating disorder and have been hospitalized many times. ive lied about trauma and have been hospitalized for it as well. i live a normal life otherwise but i just lie so much i don’t know what’s wrong with me or why i do it and im too far in to stop now.

A. People who lie about having illnesses typically do so because they desire attention and sympathy. They want to be taken care of by other people. They want the attention that is often paid to sick people. It is one method of ensuring that the people in your life will pay attention to you. But it is wrong because it is a lie.

The main problem with lying is that it’s unsustainable. It’s difficult to keep track of lies. In addition, if people were to find out, they would be upset. They might see you as untrustworthy; it can be exceedingly difficult to regain their trust.

You mentioned that you are “too far in to stop now.” That is never true. Your next step should be consulting a therapist. I don’t have enough information about your situation to offer you specific advice. Therefore, you need a local therapist who can gather the details about your current life situation and advise you accordingly.

The wrong approach to this situation would be to continue lying about your health and mental health and not seeking help. You don’t want to do that. Seek out the advice of a therapist and start from there. He or she will help you gain control over this situation and deal with what is motivating you to misrepresent the truth. Please take care.