Home » Disorders » Depression » Major Depression Dx

Major Depression Dx

Hi- thank you for being there. I was diagnosed about forty years ago with major depressive disorder, been on all types of meds but Zoloft has worked well now for about ten years. Although I went to therapy and took meds I was an active alcoholic for some thirty years but it was all for naught due to the addiction. I’ve been sober now for six years when I relocated here but have been bombarded with circumstances beyond my control about which I hold a lot of resentment;there are times I feel that picking back up is my only answer.

While I know that not to be true, my depression and my disease are prodding me along. Does major depression ever really leave someone? I’ve had remissions but it seems to catch up with me. Needless to say my thinking processes have led to so many major wrong/poor decisions that I now regret/resent because they cannot be changed. I would so appreciate your input here. Thank you

Major Depression Dx

A.

Each person is, of course, an individual with an individual experience of depression. As you’ve found, you can have periods without the struggle. I’m very sorry that you are struggling now. Please, fight the temptation to go back to addiction as a response.

A far more healthy way to manage your current situation is to go back to therapy. Therapy for major depression is rarely a one and done situation. You need and deserve to have intermittent support as well as reminders about how best to use your own inner core of strength to help you through.

I also urge you to participate in one of the forums here at PsychCentral. Go to the “Find Help” tab and click on forums. The forums provide a place for people who are dealing with similar issues to give each other advice, encouragement and general support. Visiting regularly will give you a community of people who are there for each other.

Major Depression Dx