Home » Anxiety » Is It Genophobia or What Is It?

Is It Genophobia or What Is It?

From the UK: Firstly, I want to say thank you for what you do and the way you try to help people. I will describe my situation so I you can have a better overall idea of my question.

I was raised in a strongly christian family with this ideas that sex is only for married people and sex is a sin and it is bad. I mention that I am not virgin, I had sex before but the problem is that I always get this bad feeling when I am making out with a woman and the sexual intercourse it is coming.

I normally try to get a lot of evidence from her that she really wants it in order to reduce the feeling of doing something wrong. I never tend to lead I never initiate.

Is it possible to change my mental pilot regarding this situation?

Thank you in advance.

Is It Genophobia or What Is It?

A.

Early emphasized conditioning that sex is sinful outside of marriage is often the root cause of genophobia. In my opinion, it is unfortunate. Although parents and teachers who hold such views are well-intended, such teaching can backfire. When the child grows up and the time comes to have sex, he (or she) can’t somehow magically turn off all that teaching to enjoy intimacy, whether within marriage or not.

The answer to your question is “yes”. Therapy can help you reconsider the teachings of your childhood and can free you to make your own decisions about when it is okay for you to enjoy your sexuality. A cognitive behavior therapist might be the best choice.

I hope you will take advantage of what therapy has to offer. You are only 23. You have a long life ahead. It is worth spending some months in therapy to ensure that you can enjoy sexual intimacy for the rest of your life.

Is It Genophobia or What Is It?