Home » Ask the Therapist » Therapists Talk to Each Other

Therapists Talk to Each Other

I am going to couples therapy and individual therapy. There are things that I am talking about in individual therapy in which I am not comfortable talking about in couples therapy. My fear and my question is since my therapists know each other would my issues come up in their conversation to each other? Is that possible for my issues to come out unexpectedly during conversation? I know is not legal, but has it happened before? I can’t shake the feeling that my couple therapist is finding out things on some level. Some of the things that are coming out of my couple therapist’s mouth are very closely related to what I talk about to my therapist in previous sessions. Or is there a forum that therapist update with their patients’ info that only other therapist can read?

Therapists Talk to Each Other

A.

I am very glad you wrote about this issue. The most direct way to deal with this is to let your therapist know exactly what you are feeling and you have some concerns. Explain that because the nature of what you talk about with him / her is not meant for couple’s therapy and that you worry because they (the therapists) have a connection. Be clear that you do not give permission for this and that you are concerned.

In the long run, you want to be able to speak to your therapist to clear the air, get their feedback, or find out that you may need to change therapists. But in any case, letting the therapist know how important your relationship with them is, and the need for privacy — will be most important.

Therapists Talk to Each Other