Home » Ask the Therapist » I Think Something Is Wrong, But I Want to Be Sure Before I Get Real Help?

I Think Something Is Wrong, But I Want to Be Sure Before I Get Real Help?

I have had strange experiences for a while now, but when I spoke to one of my friends about it they were pretty freaked out. I see figures made of shadows, and hear footsteps most of the time. I also sometimes hear the voices of two demons. I know that logically it is unlikely for these things to be real, but it is still terrifying. I have tried to be more aware of these things and ignore them while they are happening but I have had very little success. When things get really scary I can talk to my friend and ask if she doesn’t think that is what is really happening, but I don’t want to rely on her every time I think there is a sniper on the hill behind my house. For the most part I have been able to keep it a secret and be normal, but my other friends are starting to notice that something is wrong. I have taken a few online screenings just to get an idea of what to be aware of in case things get worse and I am starting to get worried that something is actually wrong. I am just generally confused and scared. I don’t know if I am overreacting. I just want someone to tell me what to do. Should I try and talk to a therapist about this or should I just keep relying on friends and hope that it goes away?

A.

If you have any questions about your mental health, you should seek help. You don’t have to wait until there is a crisis to consult a mental health professional. When it comes to mental health, it’s good to be proactive.

To answer your question directly, yes you should seek help from a mental health professional. And no you should not continue to rely on your friends for answers. They are not mental health professionals. They are not trained to recognize symptoms of a mental illness nor can they treat them. It would be unreasonable to expect them to know how to help you. If you want help solving this problem, then you should consult the experts.

The first thing you should do is talk to your parents. You might be frightened to speak to them, but they need to be aware of what is wrong. They can assist you in accessing treatment. If you can’t tell your parents, then go to the school guidance counselor or another trusted adult.

Your ultimate goal is to alert the right people who can assist you in accessing mental health treatment. Study after study shows that teenagers who have access to mental health treatment have fewer symptoms than those who don’t have access to mental health treatment. The sooner intervention takes place, the quicker you will see improvements in your symptoms. Please take care.