Home » Compulsive Hoarding and Nomad Lifestyle

Compulsive Hoarding and Nomad Lifestyle

Great Question from Budapest: I need some help to create a fictional character.
What happens if someone with compulsive hoarding disorder doesn’t have a home? E.g. nomads, adventurers, people living in a trailer or on the street? Do they find a place at any cost, must cope with their disorder or do they try to carry all their stuff?

Compulsive Hoarding and Nomad Lifestyle

A.

To understand the essence of hoarding it is about not letting go. Like any other disorder it is frequency and intensity that make it pathological. We all hold on to things we like, which is normal. But when we hold on to too much of something it becomes pathological. I’ve known homeless hoarders who collect garbage and keep it with them in the spaces they inhabit — and people who live in trailers and hoard TV guides and newspapers. Adventures may hoard their trophies of places they’ve traveled, experiences they’ve had, or wild animals they’ve snagged.

However, I believe your question has an outlier. A nomad, by personality and character does not want to hold on to anything. They don’t hold on to relationships or places to live. If you wanted to make the nomad a character challenged by hoarding behavior you might experiment with him on the move with all of his stuff. A severely cluttered Winnebago perhaps?

Compulsive Hoarding and Nomad Lifestyle