Home » Ask the Therapist » My Nephew Is 31 Years Old and Does Not Like His 13 Year Old

My Nephew Is 31 Years Old and Does Not Like His 13 Year Old

My nephew is 31 years old. He does not like other males at all. This includes his son who is 13. He forced my sister to take his son. She tried to say no and obtain counseling for the family. My nephew told her that if she didn’t take his son he was turning him over to the state. She took the son. But my nephew is unwilling to give her custody. Nor is he willing to provide support.

He never has related to other males. He has no male friends. He cannot hold onto a job. He does not do well with authority. His wife works and does well. She also supports him in all his decisions.

Most of the time my nephew does not show any emotion at all. But, I have seen him laugh while kidding around with his daughter or sisters.

His father left the family while my nephew was quite young. He had no contact with the family for many years. There were other males that lived with the family over the years. and there were two step fathers.

My husband feels that my nephew is a psychopath because of his lack of emotion. What might his problem be?

A.

It is too difficult to know exactly what the problem might be from a psychological perspective, but it seems clear there are some legal concerns. I’d recommend getting a legal opinion about the circumstances. Often time legal intervention can foster psychological changes.