Home » Ask the Therapist » I Don’t Know What I’m Doing with My Life

I Don’t Know What I’m Doing with My Life

I’m not in school, I don’t have a full time job, I don’t even know how to drive, and I feel like I have nothing to live for. I finished one semester in community college but I quickly realized that isn’t for me. I want to go into cosmetology school but I don’t have the money for it and my parents aren’t at all supportive. I really feel like my life is pointless. I’m not clinically diagnosed, but I’ve never truly been happy. I remember having suicidal thoughts at ten years old, and for about four years now I’ve considered myself depressed. Like I said, I don’t have a good relationship with my parents and it isn’t something I want to talk about with them. I’ve never reached out to get professional help because of this. I have no direction in my life and I have no clue what I’m doing and I see no point. I’m going through the days with no will, just getting them done. I don’t know what to do.

A.

It’s normal at your age to be unsure about what you want to do for the rest of your life. You recently graduated high school and now it’s time to figure out your next move. You are faced with a challenging set of circumstances, especially because you lack support and guidance.

You tried college and you didn’t like it. It’s possible that you chose the wrong major, had the wrong teachers, or went to the wrong school. You might consider trying another school or another major.

It’s also possible that you gained useful information by having gone to college, which is that college isn’t for you. College isn’t for everyone. Knowing what you don’t want to do can be equally as important as knowing what you do want to do.

The biggest challenge for you, seems to be that you have no support or guidance. It doesn’t seem like your parents are supportive. In addition, you might have depression. If you lack social supports and are depressed, it’s understandable that you would feel the way you have described.

The answer to your problem is counseling. Your problems are very common problems that many people experience. Contact your local community mental health center and make an appointment with a counselor. Counseling can provide you with the necessary direction, social support and guidance. Once you begin treatment, you’ll see just how helpful it can be. I hope you will consider it. Please take care.