Home » ADHD » Dissociation or ADD? Where’s the Line?

Dissociation or ADD? Where’s the Line?

I severely zone out all the time and it’s getting worse. I’m not thinking about anything when I zone out and I don’t always notice it when it starts. It’s also extremely difficult to stop when I do notice. If I fight it, I get headaches. It feels like the blood has regressed from my frontal lobe and continues to recede to my mid brain.

I can walk and “respond” verbally while this is happening but it’s like I am not connected to my body. The stronger it gets, the more a veil comes over my eyes and the whole world goes blurry. I can’t snap out of it, it just gets better eventually.

It happens all the time: standing in line, driving, reading, talking with people, shopping, in class, at work, by myself or with other people. I may be really interested in what’s happening but if I start zoning, I can’t do anything about it.

I do NOT have alters. I do NOT take medicine, alcohol, drugs or unhealthy food (sugary stuff). I have had PTSD in the past, but have worked with a therapist to move through it. I don’t suffer with it anymore.

Is this severe ADD or disassociation? Or, it is the vague catch all, “brain fog”?

Dissociation or ADD? Where’s the Line?

A.

I think you’ve put forth a great question about your experiences. I would strongly recommend an evaluation by a neuropsychologist or psychiatrist. He or she can give you some tests to help pinpoint what these symptoms mean, why they are happening, and, most importantly what can be done to help.

Dissociation or ADD? Where’s the Line?