Home » Ask the Therapist » Relationships » Sexuality » OCD and Self Sexual Problem

OCD and Self Sexual Problem

Hi I am having some trouble. This is very embarrassing and I can’t even talk to my therapist about this face to face because I feel weird about it. I know that this section of the website is for setting up consultations but I really need help. Ok so here I go: I have been diagnosed with OCD when I was young and have had it all. I havent masturbated in over 3 years and the reason is something that bothers me. I always feel like something changes in me when I did it whether I felt unsocial, different, or weird in any certain way. I have avoided it because I am scared that I will feel that way and go back on things that I have worked so hard to conquer. Ik it’s OCD and the correct thing to do is fight it by masturbating to conquer the fear but I just need assurance that that’s what I need to do. Please help me. Thanks so much.

OCD and Self Sexual Problem

A.

I admire your courage in talking about this and trying to rectify the inner struggle. Our beliefs dominate how we perceive our behavior (and for that matter the behavior of others). It seems to me that you have created a double bind for yourself. Double-binds are often associated with OCD style thinking: You are damned if you do and damned if you don’t.

Rather than focus on this specific issue, I would encourage you to bring the issue of double-binding yourself with your thoughts back to your therapist. He or she will understand the core components of this thinking and can help you beyond trying so solve this particular dilemma.

OCD and Self Sexual Problem