Home » Ask the Therapist » My Boyfriend Will Ignore All of My Phone Calls

My Boyfriend Will Ignore All of My Phone Calls

From a teen in the U.S.: Lately my boyfriend will ignore all of my phone calls during the day. Then he will wait until the last possible minute to call me at night. I get this feeling that this relationship is a chore to him. He was so loving and caring a few months ago, but now the only way to get his attention is to talk about sex. I feel like I am being manipulated, but I am not sure. We have been friends for as long as I can remember and I am starting to think that now, possibly, we moved into a relationship for all of the wrong reasons. I just hate the way I feel inside lately since he makes me feel like an overall burden. I just want some answers.

A.

Trust your intuition. Sometimes turning a friendship into a sexual relationship just doesn’t work. It sounds to me like your boyfriend is a decent guy who doesn’t know how to tell you it was a mistake. I don’t think he’s manipulating. I think he doesn’t want to hurt you but doesn’t know what to say either. So he says nothing.

If you want to keep the friendship, give him a way to end the sexual part of your relationship gracefully. They takes some space and keep things low key for awhile.