Home » Ask the Therapist » Annoyed When Car Goes Around Turns or Curves

Annoyed When Car Goes Around Turns or Curves

I believe this is a symptom of some underlying issue, but I get extremely annoyed in cars when they have to make too many turns or go through too many curves. I will yell at my husband when he drives to find straighter routes. Other things to note that might help with a diagnosis is that I have a tendency to catastrophize. For example, I feel like my husband’s family does not like me. I will stew about it until I become worried that they are going to kill me and leave my body somewhere. Another example is I felt an old coworker was using me. Then I heard that they might move into the same building that I was currently in. I became paranoid that this coworker would come and start using me again. Also, I don’t know if this is relevant, but I always wear black business casual. I do not feel comfortable in anything else.

A.

Usually, when people are planning a trip, they choose the shortest possible route. They don’t consider how many turns or curves will be a part of the trip. Your being annoyed with turns or curves is unusual. It’s not something that most people think about.

You also mentioned having unusual “feelings” about your husband’s family and your coworkers. If you do not have good reasons to believe these things about your husband’s family and your coworkers, you could have paranoia. If you believe those things to be true, despite evidence to the contrary, then you could be describing a delusion. There may be reasons for your conclusions but you did not include them in your letter. If I were interviewing you in person, I would want to know what evidence you have to support your feelings.

Regarding your clothing attire, if it helps you it is fine but if wearing a particular style of clothing hurts you, in some way, (i.e. it is inappropriate in certain circumstances), then it’s a problem. Without more information, it’s difficult to know if this is a problem or not.

If these situations are causing distress in your life, then you should seek treatment. Mental health treatment always begins with an evaluation. During the evaluation, the therapist will gather information about these and other potential problems and develop a treatment plan. The plan will involve specific strategies for targeting the problem and reduce its influence in your life. Please take care.