Home » Ask the Therapist » I Feel Like Nothing Is Worth It Anymore

I Feel Like Nothing Is Worth It Anymore

Hi, I’ve been struggling with social anxiety and depression for a while now but lately it’s become unbearable. I feel like life isn’t worth it anymore. I have no interests or dreams. Even the few things that I once use to like seem pointless now. I’m in college but I don’t like what I’m doing and I feel like nothing could really interest me enough to major in. I just feel empty and life seems really meaningless. I do not know what to do about it and I don’t even feel the motivation to help myself. Even when I don’t feel anxious life is boring and dull. I’ve tried to get into something that could make me happy, but truly nothing is able to make me feel interest and motivation. (From Romania)

I Feel Like Nothing Is Worth It Anymore

A.

While I certainly hear the despair and pain you are in, I am also aware that you are still reaching out to us here. The part of you that sent the email is the part that knows you’re feeling so down now can change. Otherwise you wouldn’t have bothered. So let’s address the part of you that has hope in the possibility of change.

Over 70% of college freshman are disillusioned by their choice of major and shift their interests. Consider this year a time of experimentation. Try as many new things out in college as you can. Don’t worry about practical elements — concern yourself more about finding something that piques your interest. You need to be engaged with something that interests you.

Also, since you are at a university, I would encourage you to talk with the people in the counseling center. The counseling is usually free or low cost, and it would be good for you to talk with people who have helped others through this period in their life.

I Feel Like Nothing Is Worth It Anymore