Home » Relationships » Sexuality » Woman Allowing Sexual Predators around Her Own Daughter

Woman Allowing Sexual Predators around Her Own Daughter

Is it common for a woman who was raped by her father repeatedly at the onset of puberty to forgive him to the point of allowing him to watch her own daughter alone?

A.

To the best of my knowledge there are no statistics or surveys available to answer your question. In that case, it’s difficult to determine how common it is for people to do what you are asking. Perhaps what you are asking is, why would a person who was raped by her father allow him to be alone with her daughter given what she knows he is capable of?

She might believe that what he did to her was an isolated event or she is in denial. Perhaps she blames herself for her father’s behavior; some victims blame themselves for the assault perpetrated by their attackers.

Perhaps she believes that her father has changed. She might also think that because of his age, he may be physically incapable of rape or is sexually uninterested in her daughter.

It might also stem from denial. Denial is a defense mechanism that protects people from thinking unpleasant thoughts. Denial can facilitate behaviors that could be characterized as irresponsible. Perhaps this is true in this case.

One final and very unlikely possibility is that sometimes people deliberately put their children into dangerous situations. There are many cases that make headlines and certainly many more that are never publicized.

I hope that I have answered your question, but without more information it is difficult to give you a more detailed answer. You might consider writing back and providing more information about this situation. Please take care.