Home » I Can’t Express Myself

I Can’t Express Myself

I have always had this problem but never thought it was a real issue. I physically cannot express my emotions to anyone. I have the best friends anyone could ask for and a big family who all love each other very much and whom I know will always be there for me no matter what. Which is why I’m so confused, I don’t know how to bring up my feelings in conversations, I feel awkward and my mind goes blank, when asked personal questions I reply with one word answers, usually yes, I’m fine. The words just won’t come out my mouth. I feel like I want to tell people but I don’t want people to know at the same time. I feel like I want my friends to already know how I’m feeling without me telling them. I can’t even tell people that I can’t tell them anything. Is there something wrong with me? What should I do? (From the UK)

I Can’t Express Myself

A.

Speaking up, particularly about your feelings, is a skill that can be developed. I’d recommend Toastmasters or an introductory acting class. While I realize you’ll need courage to do these things, the classes themselves will help you develop the skills necessary.

I Can’t Express Myself