Home » Ask the Therapist » I Think I May Have Dissociative Identity Disorder

I Think I May Have Dissociative Identity Disorder

I first started searching about DID when I was 12, because the voices I kept hearing were giving me a headache. I scored 92 on the sanity test for Dissociation, and have taken several other tests that confirmed that I may have DID. I cannot remember most of my childhood, and certainly can’t remember ever being physically nor sexually abused. My personality seems to change depending on who I’m around, and I feel as though I’m not quite ‘there’ at times. I have a lot of memory gaps as well, and there are a lot of students at my school who claim who know me, yet I don’t remember ever speaking to them.

Sometimes I can’t quite control my body or what I’m saying, I can see what I’m doing, but I can’t control my actions, which tend to be rather eccentric. Its hard to interact with others because of my own thoughts; I could be thinking one thing, and then one of the voices would be contract that thought, which leaves me confused and unable to continue speaking. I also tend to rush my words, and change subjects in the middle of a sentence, which don’t have anything to do with what I wanted to say.

A.

I would advise against self-diagnosis. Internet mental health tests are good at helping people know if they should seek professional help, but they should not be used as diagnostic tools. I would agree that your symptoms are concerning. I would recommend being evaluated by a mental health professional. That would be the best way to determine if you have a mental health disorder.

You mentioned hearing voices that give you a headache, but you didn’t describe the nature of the voices you hear. We all hear an internal voice. This voice is familiar and recognizable. When a person hears voices that are not familiar or recognizable, he or she might be experiencing the symptoms of a mental health disorder. Voices that are demeaning might also be a sign of a mental health disorder.

It’s common to not remember one’s childhood. In such cases, it does not necessary mean that trauma was sustained. I would need to know more about the nature of your memory, or lack thereof, to determine if you are describing a symptom of DID or any other disorder.

I would encourage you to speak to your parents about your concerns. Some teenagers are reluctant to speak to their parents because of their fear that they won’t be taken seriously. It’s an understandable concern; however, your parents may not have the reaction that you might fear. If you can’t talk to your parents, consult your school guidance counselor or another faculty member whom you trust. They can help you access mental health treatment. Counseling could be a tremendous help to you. Please take care.