Home » Ask the Therapist » I Don’t Know What Is Wrong with Me

I Don’t Know What Is Wrong with Me

From a teen in the U.S.: So to begin, I’ve been diagnosed and recieved treatment for depression and an eating disorder, seen 2 therapists, and struggled with self-harm in the past 3 years.
Lately I’ve noticed a few behaviors that are bit strange to me.
Here’s a list of the behaviors that are concerning me:
– I excessive clean my room
– When I’m the only one home, I organize the pantry, clean and straighten up the countertops, and try to put everything in order
– When I babysit, after the kids have gone to bed, I wipe down all the counter and table tops, straighten paperwork/books and put them in the upper corners of the table, straighten the TV remotes so they are perpendicular to the TV, and put all dishes in the sink
– I used to bring all my horse equipment home every weekend to clean it (I don’t ride anymore so this isn’t happening anymore)
– I regularly go through all my school work and try to organize it based on class and date
– I’m picking at my skin a lot. I pick at my chapped lips for hours at a time, as well as ripping open the skin around my fingernails, and picking off all scabs multiple times
– I have very limited personal relationships with people and struggle to make friends
– I had 2 childhood friends that I kept for a long time (one for 8 years, one for 10 years) the 8 year friendship ended recently and I really don’t feel like I miss her
– When my family goes out of town for long periods of time I don’t really miss them but when they call I tell them I miss them because I feel rude if I say that I don’t
– I hardly spend time with my friend (the 10 year friendship I mentioned) I see her maybe once every couple months
– I feel as though if I cut everyone out of my life I wouldn’t really miss anyone
– I lie a lot and am extremely secretive

I’m not sure if these are things I should be concerned about but I just don’t feel like they are normal.
I am not seeking a diagnosis, but rather a recommendation as to what these sound most similar to so that I may seek help from someone to give me an official diagnosis.

I Don’t Know What Is Wrong with Me

A.

I very much appreciate that you understand that I can’t give you a diagnosis. I can’t. But I can tell you that everything you describe is within the scope of the anxiety disorders. The good news is that it is treatable.

I suggest you follow through with your own good idea and find a therapist who specializes in anxiety and teens.

You might also find it helpful to take a look at The Anxiety and Phobia Workbook by Edmund Bourne.

I Don’t Know What Is Wrong with Me