Home » My Brain Automatically Thinks Mean Things about Others

My Brain Automatically Thinks Mean Things about Others

I don’t think this is a major problem but at random when I look at someone or look at a picture my brain automatically comments on something about them. If I am looking at a woman that is obese my brain will think “Wow she is so fat, she should start going work out” or something along those lines and then I think to myself that what I just thought was really mean. Do i have a condition that I am unaware of or is this normal. This doesn’t happen with everyone I meet but it just randomly happens even when i’m with my friends sometimes I a mean comment pops up and it surprises me. I don’t have any tragic/traumatic past but when I was a kid and even now I have trouble going to sleep because I am always afraid of something fictional. Like when I was younger I was very afraid of Dracula coming into my room and sucking my blood so i would sleep facing up, without my neck showing. Or anytime I closed my eyes I would imagine something from a horror film and couldn’t go to sleep. Also my parents spanked me with a clothe hanger when I was younger, but not very often only when I was misbehaving. I don’t think my past has anything to do with it and was just curious if I had a condition. Thanks in advance.

A.

Thank you for your question. I think both parts of your reaction — the mean part and the part that questions it — are well within the normal range of thought. The fact that you are noticing it is good as it will give you an opportunity to correct unwanted reactions and biases.