Home » Partner’s Aversion to Her Own Cat: What Does It Mean in Relation Other Issues?

Partner’s Aversion to Her Own Cat: What Does It Mean in Relation Other Issues?

My partner has an aversion to her own cats want of attention. She gets highly annoyed when the cat seeks attention and cuddles. Her own expressions of annoyance include an analysis that the cat is ‘just greedy’ and is trying to ‘take from her’. She gets very annoyed and downright angry at times. My partner has a lot of childhood issues of abandonment which I think might be related to this. I had another partner previously who also had childhood trauma(rape)and had the same issues of detachment from her pets and annoyance when they sought attention. I’m trying to understand the intricate meaning behind this disconnect with animals so that I can understand the mentality behind my partners feelings/actions???

A.

Only having a small amount of information about your partner is not enough to explain the meaning behind her behavior. Maybe it’s indicative of a psychological problem, but there may be no deep meaning behind it. It’s also possible that she doesn’t like cats or animals in general. There are many people who don’t like animals. They simply don’t want to interact with them and find them annoying. It could be as simple as her dislike for cats or animals in general.

It is odd that she has a cat when it seems like she’s not very fond of them. There are many questions that need to be asked, if you are to find the reasons for her behavior. A therapist would do exactly that. If you’re curious, you should ask her more. It might provide the answers you are looking for. Thanks for your question. Please take care.