Home » Need Help with My Therapist Won’t Acknowledge Orientation

Need Help with My Therapist Won’t Acknowledge Orientation

This might be a weird question but I’m having trouble with my therapist, I consider myself homosexual though never had relationships due to anxiety, depression and my religious family, its a bit complicated but I’m in treatment since a year and have been progressing despite many complications, I have gone to many therapists/psychiatrists and recently was recommended to someone who has experience with families, I cant talk about him because he says I cant possibly know if I’m Gay because I never had sexual relationships and that every person is homosexual inside, that was my choice and people express their homosexuality in different ways. I told him I have been trying to accept myself only recently and that cost a lot of work but he insists.

I felt I have been like this my whole life but he has been questioning me and I feel confused by his answers, is this a common response to someone who says they are a sexual orientation? That every person has the capacity to develop feelings for he or she same sex but they simply don’t choose to? Is it a choice?

Thank You. (From Mexico)

A.

I’d talk to your current therapist about how this is making you feel. This is a very important discussion as it it is part of the process that may be helpful. If you find you are not being received well it may be time for a second opinion concerning your treatment. I’d look for a qualified therapist familiar with gay issues.