Home » I Don’t Know Why Am I Feeling this Way

I Don’t Know Why Am I Feeling this Way

From a 15 year old girl in Malaysia: Hello. I’m a teen who’s having an issue that I, myself am not sure of what it is. For the past 2 years, I’ve been struggling with negative feelings that I try my best to not let them conquer me. This year, I’ve been worse. I thought I’m fine, because I cry lesser than last year. But I’m starting to feel anxious and scared of the future. I have a standardized exam to take in another few weeks, yet, recently I can’t really feel anything. I laugh and feel happy, but I can’t seem to cry or feel at least a little stressed out about my upcoming exam. Unlike the past few months, I don’t cry out of stress. I sleep a lot during the day and usually stay in until late nights too. I feel unmotivated to do anything, and sometimes I feel really weak. Like something weighs me down. Maybe it’s just another phase teens usually go through. I don’t know. I hope you can point out what’s wrong with me.

I Don’t Know Why Am I Feeling this Way

A.

Thank you for writing. It may be a phase of adolescence. But it could also be that you are physically run down. A key clue to me is your pattern of sleep. If you do a web search of sleep, you will find that a person your age needs an average of 8 – 9 hours of sleep a night to be healthy and mentally alert. If you are staying up nights and still getting to school, there is no way you are getting that amount of sleep. Sleep deprivation leads to emotional instability and over sensitivity. Let it go on for a long time and it can lead to numbing of feelings and lack of interest in things that should be important to you.

You need to resist the temptation to sleep in the day and work your way up to a regular, normal sleep cycle. You might find it helpful to look at the website for the National Sleep Foundation: https://sleepfoundation.org/sleep-topics/teens-and-sleep.

I Don’t Know Why Am I Feeling this Way