Home » Q. Why Would My Psychiatrist Discontinue My Meds?

Q. Why Would My Psychiatrist Discontinue My Meds?

I’m confused and terrified. I’ve been in treatment for severe, reoccurring major depressive disorder with psychosis for over a decade. Recently, I’ve run into trouble with my meds being off. Things have been going downhill since then and I am struggling. At an appointment today, I was told that my psychiatrist will no longer prescribe my medications. Without them, I get even worse. Why would he do this?

A.

I don’t have enough information to know why your psychiatrist would stop prescribing your medications. You should immediately call and ask for an explanation. This would be the most direct way to get an answer to your question.

Typically, mental health professionals do not abruptly stop treating their clients; if they need to stop treatment, for any reason, they should provide an explanation and a referral. It’s unethical to do it any other way.

In the meantime, you’re going to need to find a new psychiatrist. You could try calling the office of your old psychiatrist and asking for a referral. You might also call your insurance company and ask them for other providers. Your family doctor might also be able to help. He or she might be willing to prescribe your medications while you find a new psychiatrist. Another option may be to go to your local crisis center or psychiatric hospital. Explain what happened and how important your medication is to your stability.

I’m sorry that you are struggling. I hope that you find the aforementioned ideas useful. Please take care.