Home » Ask the Therapist » Son in Law’s Odd Behavior with Grand Daughter

Son in Law’s Odd Behavior with Grand Daughter

I have witnessed my son in law stick his finger up my granddaughter’s nose several times. First time, she was on my lap (age 3) she had her finger in nose, I gently moved her hand away, saying no fingers in your nose, he then reached over and stuck his finger up her nose. He has done this several more times near me, latest time was this weekend (age 4). Last night we were face-timing and she was happy telling me about her day, He reached over and pinched / squeezed her thigh. She jumped and looked at him with a look like why did you just hurt me. She did say ouch daddy that hurts and he did it again, then laughed and said I am a crab. It actually left a mark on her leg. My daughter and son in law are divorcing and I am worried about my granddaughter. I know he loves her but this behavior seems very strange and not sure if I should be worried. Any help or guidance would be appreciated.

A.

I can understand why you would be concerned. These are intrusive and abusive behaviors that strike me as indications of (at the very least) very poor parental judgment. As your daughter is in the middle of a divorce I’d recommend she tell her lawyer about this. It is possible that the lawyer may be able to request a psychological evaluation be ordered for dad. Naturally I can’t give legal advice, but I would at least let the lawyer know this has been an ongoing problem. Hopefully, this can allow a psychologist to get involved.

Dr. DanProof Positive Blog @ PsychCentral