Home » Anxiety » Social Anxiety Stopping Me from Picking Psychology

Social Anxiety Stopping Me from Picking Psychology

From a teen in England: Hello, basically I want to study psychology for sixth form and maybe after that study it for university. However my mum doesn’t want me to and wants me to study accountancy as it can make more money and more boys do it. However I am doing both for sixth form im more interested in psychology. The main thing is that I have social anxiety (im pretty sure but haven’t checked with anyone yet) and im scared that may stop me from doing what I want and apparently it is very to find a job in psychology which is also doing my head in. Can you give me any advice? Thanks in advance

A.

Without knowing you, I can’t really give you career advice. What I can tell you is this: Studying psychology is useful for almost every other profession in which you will be dealing with other people. See if there is a way for you to take a psychology course or two while studying accounting. You will learn more about both fields so you can make an informed choice. If you do go into accounting, you will have a little background in psychology that will be helpful in working with your customers.

I don’t know the job prospects for either profession in England. I imagine there are websites that can give you that information.

Most teens are unsure of themselves socially. You are in a time of life when you are figuring out who you are and how you fit in with others. It can be a distressing time until you figure it out. That doesn’t mean you have a disorder. Work on getting more comfortable by participating in group activities and by being generous with others. People appreciate a good listener and a person who contributes in a positive way.