Home » Ask the Therapist » Parenting » Mother Seems to Act “Crazy”

Mother Seems to Act “Crazy”

This has been an on-going thing for almost my whole life since I was born, my family won’t do anything about it so I’m just in need for advice. My mother has been in a mental hospital before for only a week, due to family issues. Every day, she leaves and comes back and something sets her off, during her episodes she thinks people are watching/talking to her on a voice machine and that they screw with her body… or that my grandparents put her on this voice machine… she also tends to blame me for random things and throws sharp knives away because she thinks my young brother is going to stab us in the middle of the night, when he is NOWHERE NEAR VIOLENT AT ALL, he’s only 3. I am just wondering if signing her up to a mental hospital, or maybe therapy will help it mentally abuses me and will do so my brother once he is older.

Mother Seems to Act “Crazy”

A.

You are right to be concerned about your mother. She engages in unusual behavior. The only way she could be committed to a hospital for treatment is if she is a danger to herself or to others or if she is unable to care for herself (i.e. gravely disabled). Generally, hospitals are for emergencies.

She could benefit from consulting a psychiatrist. Psychiatrists are medical doctors who specialize in treating psychological problems with medicine. The psychiatrist could evaluate her symptoms and prescribe medicine to treat her symptoms.

She would also likely benefit from working with a psychotherapist. Talk therapy could help her to distinguish reality from non-reality. You should encourage her to seek help from the aforementioned types of mental health professionals.

You might also try family therapy. Family therapy could be very beneficial because it involves all members of the family learning new communication and interaction skills.

Generally speaking, no one can be forced into treatment unless they are a danger to themselves or to others. Try your best to encourage your mother to seek help. If she refuses, then you should consider consulting a mental health professional who can teach you the best way to deal with your mother’s untreated symptoms. Please take care.

Mother Seems to Act “Crazy”