Home » I’m Emotionally Numb

I’m Emotionally Numb

I’ve had only 2 sessions of EMDR, but I’ve read online that it only takes one session to start bringing back emotions. I suffer from PTSD, depression, anxiety, mild bipolar, and borderline personality disorder. I became emotionally numb 2 years ago… I have a boyfriend that I know I care about because of the things that I do for him and the way that I feel when we’re together (Not a feeling, more like I’m imagining what I’m SUPPOSED to feel.) I want to feel that sense of love, that warm feeling you get in your heart. I know in my mind that I love him, but not with my heart, and that’s the issue. I’m not able to feel positive emotions like joy, love, lust, passion, etc. I only feel nervousness, dread, anger, and deep, bone-rattling sadness and hopelessness. I’ve basically been a robot for the past 2 years and it’s destroying me. I also have weird urges to hurt my pets, which I couldn’t control at some point. I used to feel so bad about punishing my pets, but now I feel satisfaction is hurting them for no reason. My therapist thinks she can help me, but I’ve been seeing her for 4 months and there is no progress. What should I do?

I’m Emotionally Numb

A.

While EMDR can and often does work rapidly I wouldn’t give up on the possibility that a few more sessions might be needed to help. While I’ve had people respond within 2 or 3 sessions, there are many that need a half dozen or more. Each person is different, and you may need more time. Also, I’d give your therapist a chance to help. While I know you want more immediate results, the fact that you know there is something not okay and are working toward getting it resolved with the right techniques and support is a very good thing. I’d encourage you to hang in there a bit longer with both the EMDRT and your therapist.

I’m Emotionally Numb