Home » Am I Mentally Disabled?

Am I Mentally Disabled?

I have serious concerns that I might actually be mentally disabled, but everyone around me might act like I’m normal. I mean, I see how people act around others who have a very noticeable mental disability. They don’t tell him/her and might act as if they’re normal while in a social interaction with the mentally ill person. I’ve noticed one of my friends acts as if I’m mentally ill, often saying things such as “Don’t hurt yourself” and recently after failing to help my brother with his homework he called my retarded for ~10 minutes straight along with “You shouldn’t be in that AP class!” I’m now plagued with the though of ‘Am I mentally ill’ and how can I tell for certain?

To sum it up, after noticing recent behaviors within my friend group and my family towards me, I’m afraid I might be mentally ill and no one has the guts to tell me yet. How can I tell if I’m mentally ill?

Am I Mentally Disabled?

A.

Mental health diagnoses are determined by mental health professionals who conduct evaluations. An evaluation may take several hours and will involve a thorough inquiry of your psychosocial history, the nature of your relationships, and so forth. Your parents may also participate in the evaluation. After the evaluation, the mental health professional will discuss his or her results and advise you accordingly. Having an evaluation might put your mind at ease.

It may help you to know that nothing you wrote in your letter would suggest that you have a mental illness. Friends can say hurtful things when they get upset at one another. It might have been his way of trying to hurt your feelings or it could have been a misunderstanding. Sometimes people try to be funny, but not everyone gets their joke. You might try asking your friend why he said those things to you. It might help you to understand why he said what he did. Please take care.

Am I Mentally Disabled?