Home » Relationships » Sexuality » How Do I Talk to My Therapist about My Fear of Sex?

How Do I Talk to My Therapist about My Fear of Sex?

From the U.S.: I was sexually abused as a child from the ages of 5 – 15 by a close family member. I have since had several other people abuse me. I have never really had any interest in sex, until recently.

Since I’ve started counseling in December, I have become more aware of my feelings both emotionally and physically. I found myself to be interested in exploring having sexual relationship, however I’m still extremely afraid of sex. Of the shame, humiliation and pain that goes with it.

How do I talk to my therapist about these fears without seeming to be (1) A total freak? and (2) Like I’m coming onto him? He has been a great help to me and I am truly grateful to have him as a therapist, but I don’t know how to talk to him about it or if it’s even appropriate to talk to him about it?

A.

Thank you for writing in spite of the discomfort you are feeling about the subject.

Please understand that therapists generally have a great deal of experience with issues such as yours. People who have been abused often struggle to regain the comfort with their own bodies — and with sex — that is everyone’s birthright. Your therapist will not be shocked or upset or judgmental.

I suggest that you simply take your letter and this response to your next session as a way to venture into a topic that is difficult for you. You and your therapist will then decide together how best to address your fears.