Home » Large Memory Gaps & Strange Urges

Large Memory Gaps & Strange Urges

I can’t remember anything from the past two months or so. I am told that major events happened during that time which I should definitely be able to recall, but I can’t remember a single thing and it is really scaring me. I am not taking any medication currently and I’m positive that I didn’t have any kind of concussion or head trauma, either. There are some objects in my room that I don’t remember ever seeing before. For the past week I’ve been experiencing random spurts of laughter as well, often in very serious situations and when nothing is funny. It happens so often that people have started to notice and give me strange looks. A few times, I have had very strong, and very sudden urges to hurt or maim other people with sharp objects. However these urges pass quickly and I’m left wondering if they were even real. I am terrified, I don’t know what’s going on with me or what any of this means. This isn’t like me at all, I am usually very calm and gentle. Something is just very wrong and I have no idea what to do or why I can’t remember anything.

Large Memory Gaps & Strange Urges

A.

“Major events” have happened that you cannot recall, but you didn’t describe those events. It would have been helpful to know what major events you were referring to. They may or may not be “major events,” but I cannot judge your characterization of these events without more information.

You’re not taking medication nor have you sustained head injuries but what about drug or alcohol use? Drugs and alcohol are known to cause problems with memory.

Your symptoms should be thoroughly investigated by medical professionals. That should be the first step in determining what might be wrong. If nothing medically is wrong, then consult a mental health professional. He or she can assess your symptoms and determine if the source is psychological and if so, develop a treatment plan to resolve the problem. Please take care.

Large Memory Gaps & Strange Urges