Home » Disorders » Sleep » Can’t Open Eyes During Sleep

Can’t Open Eyes During Sleep

Sometimes during sleep, I have this condition where I can use all my senses other than my eyes. During this condition, I’m usually having a very bad / scary nightmare and usually I just wake up when I’m having nightmares. But sometimes, I don’t wake up completely. I am able to talk and scream, I can hear other people around me talking and hear myself screaming, I can feel if someone touches me but regardless however hard I try, I can’t open my eyes. So all I can do is scream and scream but cant open my eyes.

Does this happen to anyone else? Should I be worried? (From India)

Can’t Open Eyes During Sleep

A.

Thank you for your letter and sharing your concern. From your description it sounds like you’ve had an episode of something called sleep paralysis. In these uncomfortable situations some part or many parts of the body seem paralyzed. Here’s a link to more information about it, but it is generally very short lived and you move through it.

While it can be scary it typically doesn’t have any lasting side effects. Of course if the situation worsens or doesn’t seem to fit your symptoms, a neurological exam will get to the bottom of it.

Can’t Open Eyes During Sleep