Home » Ask the Therapist » Living with Alcoholic Dad

Living with Alcoholic Dad

I live with my 2 younger siblings, alcoholic father, and grandmother, who has custody of my siblings and I. She has repeatedly told my father that if he’s caught drinking, she’ll kick him out. But every time we do catch him, she let’s him stay. As of right now, he has to stay because my grandmother is currently unemployed due to an accident leaving her physically incapable of returning to work for a few more months. My father will get drunk during the night and walk around the house knocking things over and breaking them. He’ll also try to cook while we’re all asleep occasionally, and has more than once left on the stove, heating up pots and pans until they literally turn red from the heat. He eats everything and rarely pays for anything but the bare minimum of what he’s supposed to. He’s a danger to us and a terrible father. My grandmother and I both want him gone, but we just aren’t financially able to do so. I do have a job working for my aunt, earning 60 dollars a week, but obviously, that’s not enough to pay bills every month and keep 4 mouths fed. I would appreciate some advice on how to deal with living with him or how to find a way to afford to kick him out. We’ve all lived with this for years and we’re sick of it. Your help is appreciated, thank you.

Living with Alcoholic Dad

A.

I am so sorry that you have to manage all of this difficulty. I would highly recommend you find an Al-Anon or Alateen near where you live. Here is a link to the website that can help you find a local meeting. This is essential as the problem with your father is likely to continue to get worse. Taking care of yourself and getting support from people who know what it is like to live with an alcoholic parent will be very helpful. I would look for a meeting to attend either with your grandmother — or by yourself.

Living with Alcoholic Dad