Home » I Think I Have Paranoia

I Think I Have Paranoia

I’m not diagnosed with anything, my mom says depression is a phase every teenage girl goes through and that it will just past me.I have a history of an abusive relationship with my best friend I knew for half of my life, mentally and physically.I became depressed, I wouldn’t have an appetite, I would get bad grades, and I would sleep all the time. I’m better now, but I have a difficulty trusting others who aren’t my family. That just my background, now this is the real issue. You had a similar question I saw, but you didn’t give advice. Instead, you said you needed more information, so this will be long and detailed.

When I am alone, my mind torments me. Our house. It’s two stories and pretty big, we rent. She left me alone in the house one day because I was old enough and it felt awkwardly quiet. I don’t have good eyesight so i pass by something and I think there’s something wrong and when I snap my head in the direction it’s nothing. This happens frequently, my heart races and my breath quickens. I’m also scared of the dark, today i was blow drying my hair and i saw the closet door filled with darkness. I closed it immediately. I often hear these noises like someone is downstairs, but I don’t know if there real. This happens often when I’m up at night and there’s silence even if my mom is sleeping in the room next to me. I sometimes imagine my fears come to life. I stare at the cross on the wall and often peer over the bathroom door to see if someone is really going to appear. It’s so tormenting that my mom once found me in the shower crying. I have a pitbull and I don’t watch many horror films. Maybe three to five times a year so I should feel safe. I did find a way to cope with these fears. I put on music or youtube. I distract myself with technology, it calms me. I have my phone with me 24/7. Oh and don’t get me started on the fear of biking outside alone at night. What do you think I have? I wish I had a therapist I could talk to, but I don’t think my mom or dad would be supportive. They wouldn’t have time, I asked them once and they took it like it was a joke or something. Like it wasn’t serious. I appreciate your help and thank you for your time.

I Think I Have Paranoia

A.

First and foremost, it might be true that many teenage girls deal with depression but it is not a phase. Too many people dismiss youth depression as a phase when it is not a phase. Depression is real and it is treatable. It is possible that you mother did not realize that you were serious about wanting help.

Second, if any aspect of your behavior is a “phase” it could be your fear of darkness. It is not uncommon for young people to have similar fears. It could be a function of your youth and imagination. You could be building up your anxiety by focusing on it.

Alternatively, your fear of biking alone at night might be realistic. You should not do it alone. Having your parents supervise your bike ride would be very wise.

Finally, you mentioned that it would be helpful to speak to a therapist. I agree. You should show this letter to your parents to demonstrate your seriousness about wanting help. You might also speak to the school guidance counselor about this matter. He or she could discuss your desire for help with your parents. Please take care.

I Think I Have Paranoia