Home » Ask the Therapist » My Girlfriend Had Sexual Relations with Other Men and I’m Hurt

My Girlfriend Had Sexual Relations with Other Men and I’m Hurt

I make a girl friend some six months ago and we planned to get married. then, some days ago I found that she had sexual relationships with two other guys, and now these revelations are killing me. I was perfectly happy man but now I think I am the most desperate person in the world. I am like dying out of grief and I cannot handle it. Every time I imagine her then the guy comes in my mind having sex with her and that movement, I wish I didn’t exist at all. Now I am in such situation that my love for her has tremendously increased but at the other hand, I think if I married her I would live the whole life thinking about that guy and will spoil my life and hers too. I simply want to forget her, but currently it seems impossible. Please suggest me something to get myself out of it because I don’t want to end up my life like this. I want to do something for humanity but currently, I am desperate, my life is full of pain and I don’t know how to get out of
it. (From Pakistan)

A.

Thank you for asking this question. It is unclear from your email if these relationships happened before you two were together or if she had sexual relations with these men WHILE you were dating. This makes a big difference on how you approach it.

If these relationships were before you met, then the work is for you to learn to accept she had a life before you. This may be difficult to accept and work through, but the strength of your relationship and the promise of a future together will help you work through it.

However, if she has been with the two men AFTER you thought you were exclusive, then it is time to be thankful you learned about her character now before you married. If she was unfaithful with two men in this way, then you will want grieve what you thought you had with her and move on.