Home » Taking Medications — Big Burden

Taking Medications — Big Burden

I’m taking medications for several years. I had psychosis. Now I feel good. People usually find me very funny and think I’m good company. Problem is when I want to ask some girl out I just freeze. I don’t know what she would say about my problem when she finds out. Eventually I have to tell that and it is very difficult. I know that you have to go step by step. I always think in long term. Maybe that particular girl will not even go to second date with me. The fact that I’m taking medications is limiting me and in my country this is still taboo topic. I created comfort zone and life without risk so I just don’t ask girls out. I have feeling I didn’t realize my potential. I never give even 20 percent in anything I do. I just can’t relax. Please help. (From Slovenia)

Taking Medications — Big Burden

A.

I deeply admire your courage in asking this question and talking about your concerns. The easiest way to move forward with this is to keep this idea of asking a woman out more manageable — not some make-it-or-break-it event. The best way to do this is to invite the her to join you — you are going for tea or coffee and you would like for her to join you. This is a different approach than putting such an emphasis on”going out.” By saying you are going for a drink and inviting her you are letting her know you have a plan for yourself and that you would like her to come along. If she says no, your plans have not changed. If she says yes, then you know she is interested. This limits both the degree to which you might feel rejected, and the pressure of having a more formal “date.”

Building up small encounters that allow both of you to get to know one another in a non-threatening way lets you build a foundation where talking about each of your vulnerabilities may be easier.

Taking Medications — Big Burden