Home » Regarding Therapy for Social Anxiety

Regarding Therapy for Social Anxiety

Hello Dr. I have been suffering from Social Anxiety for more than 10 years now. And have been taking treatment/therapy for the same for the last 4 years. I have seen up to 4 or 5 psychiatrists/counselors but still my social anxiety hasn’t reduced. In fact i feel it has become even more worse. Please advice me as to what should I do.

Regarding Therapy for Social Anxiety

A.

Not all mental health treatment is good mental health treatment. Some professionals are better than others. Some treatments are better than others. It is often a matter of finding the right therapist or the right medication.

I typically suggest consulting at least 4 or 5 mental health professionals when seeking treatment. Call them and ask them direct questions about how they would help you. Ask them if they have had success in helping other people with similar problems. Ask them what outcome you could expect if you were to work with them. Choose the therapist with whom you have the strongest connection and with whom you have the most confidence. That person will likely be able to best help you.

Social anxiety often stems from an individual not believing in themselves. If you don’t have self-confidence and a healthy level of self-esteem, then you’re going to shy away from people and the public. Self-esteem develops over time and through life accomplishments. The more you accomplish in your life, the more confident you will feel and the less anxiety you will likely have around people.

People with low self-esteem and social anxiety often make cognitive mistakes about themselves and the world. I have worked with many people who feel bad about themselves despite having achieved great success. Misjudging reality can lead to incorrect conclusions and unnecessary suffering.

I understand that you might be frustrated but you shouldn’t stop trying to seek help. Social anxiety is a highly treatable disorder. You might also try reading self-help books about social anxiety. David Burns is one of my favorite self-help book authors for anxiety and related conditions. Try reading reviews on Amazon before choosing a book. Please take care.

Regarding Therapy for Social Anxiety