Home » Depression » I’ve Been Getting Angry and Sad for No Reason Lately

I’ve Been Getting Angry and Sad for No Reason Lately

I’ve been noticing that my feelings have been changing. I was hanging out with my friend last week and she said that I have no creativity and those words stuck to me. I felt a rush of sadness but it soon turned to anger, to where I just wanted to hit her. But that’s not all. Today in the store, I was with my mom and sister and for some reason after our friend left, I just let out this anger. I don’t even know what actually happened. I think my sister annoyed me but it was more than that. Whenever I get mad like that, I’ve been forgetting what I was mad about. It’s like the anger just took over me. And I’ve been really sad either before or after my anger. I want to get help but I’m too scared to talk to anyone about it because I feel like my problems aren’t important and they have better things to do than listen to me go on. I’m really nervous with how these mood swings are going to play out as the school year begins. I just want to relax, but even when I am relaxing in my room I want to hit something. But my step father makes it worse. He makes me feel like shit whenever I say something. He talks about me like I’m not in the room and it puts me down and I don’t think he gets it but it really does hurt me. Please, just help me understand what’s going on with me.

A.

I’m sorry that you’re having this difficulty, but I’m very glad that you wrote us here at Psych Central. Perhaps the best place to start is with the physical exam. As you list your age as 14, I would recommend you ask your parents to set up a meeting with your pediatrician. Here she will be in a good position to help determine what tests and which professionals may be best to help. There can be many reasons for what you are experiencing. A physical exam is a good place to start.

The fact that you are experiencing this discomfort and want to correct it is an important demonstration of your character. I appreciate the courage you have in writing us — now it is time to get a physical to get to the bottom of this.