Home » Should I Worry about Schizophrenia?

Should I Worry about Schizophrenia?

A lot of things have changed for me in the past two years. My entire way of thinking has changed. For an instance, if I see a spider web, I will make note of the presence of eight, which is evil, and how orb webs are circular and circles are best divided into eight sections, and how two fours are needed to overthrow eight, etc. Personally I think there is nothing wrong with this, but others say otherwise. Is it wrong? I sometimes get visual hallucinations, and more often I hear voices or get thought insertions. This is nothing compared to the awful feelings in my head. These feelings make me think there is a robot taking me over and controlling me inside my brain. I am not sure if these feelings are mental or physical. It feels sometimes like hands are pressing my head, like something is moving inside my head, I feel it eating me. This distresses me so much I cannot be in school when it gets bad. I think my head will explode like a bomb. Not all of me agrees with this, but I am confused. Lately I have lost interest in much. I do not enjoy learning like I used to, nor reading or even drawing. I am always zoning out and I am never aware. I try to be normal but I can’t. Sometimes I cannot understand what people are saying though I hear them. I never had these problems before. My mom says I am showing signs of schizophrenia. This worries me a lot. I can’t stop worrying. Is this common for teens? Should I worry? Thank you for your help in advance.

Should I Worry about Schizophrenia?

A.

It is common for teenagers to worry about mental health symptoms but it is not common for teenagers to experience the symptoms you have described. They are concerning.

One example is your thinking about the spider web. Others simply see a spider web whereas you see evil divided into eight sections. You seem to be imposing supernatural ideas onto normal, everyday things. There is nothing demonic or evil about spider webs.

You mentioned having visual hallucinations but you didn’t describe them. It’s possible that you are describing daydreams but, generally speaking, visual hallucinations are uncommon. The physical sensations you have experienced are also unusual. These symptoms should be brought to the attention of a mental health professional.

It’s good that you are able to communicate with your mother about your symptoms. Your symptoms are obviously distressing and treatment would help. Your next step should be asking your mother to make an appointment for you with a mental health professional. If you or your mother have any additional questions, please do not hesitate to write. I will be glad to answer any questions that you may have. Please take care.

Should I Worry about Schizophrenia?