Home » Having Delusions of a Shadow Dimension

Having Delusions of a Shadow Dimension

I’ve had paranoid OCD for 17 years- but those issues were always based in the real word- that people were lying to me or out to get me. In recent months, I’ve started to believe that I can sense a shadow dimension, where beings that feed on fear have been causing my anxiety issues. I know it’s absurd, but I can’t shake this belief. My understanding was that delusional people don’t know they are delusional, but I am aware that all of this makes no sense, and I want it to stop. I never thought I would say this, but I miss my regular old paranoia!

The part about this that concerns me the most is that I had a grandparent who was a diagnosed schizophrenic. I know I’m old for that, but I also know onset tends to be later in females. Is there a chance that I’m developing schizophrenia? What else could be causing this, and how do I make it stop?

Having Delusions of a Shadow Dimension

A.

Having had symptoms of OCD for 17 years would suggest that it isn’t well controlled. That might be why you are having these additional symptoms. Untreated anxiety symptoms tend to worsen over time. Untreated anxiety could be the problem.

It is relatively common for people with anxiety disorders, especially people with certain types of OCD, to believe that they are developing schizophrenia. Schizophrenia is the most feared of all mental health disorders. People with anxiety disorders tend to fear the worst and therefore worry about developing schizophrenia.

It is concerning that you have developed this new symptom but whether it’s indicative of schizophrenia is not something that I could determine over the Internet. An in-person evaluation, with a mental health professional, would be the best way to know if you have schizophrenia.

No matter what your diagnosis may be, it’s important that your symptoms are treated. Delusions (if that’s what you have) are a sign of psychosis. Some people are aware of their delusions and some people are not; in either case treatment is necessary. Psychosis is treatable with medication. If you are not in treatment, you should be. If you are in treatment, alert your treating professionals to this new symptom. Please take care.

Having Delusions of a Shadow Dimension