Home » Depression » I Always Feeling Angry/Depressed & Hopeless

I Always Feeling Angry/Depressed & Hopeless

hello, thanks for taking the time to read this. I came here because I’ve lived the last 4 years of my life in the same way. i am either always depressed, irritable or completely “done” with the world and feel as if no one could do anything to change my view or the world itself. this attitude on life began when i was 13 and i thought maybe it was just puberty. however, it did not stop as i aged. i am never happy where ever i am. (my occupation makes me move around every year or so when locations become expensive). ive lost all desire to get married or start a family. i have no motivation or ambitions. im in a constant state of boredom, hopelessness and anger. and i dont know why. i wasnt abused as a kid, im not starving. everything in my life is great except me. i dont know why i cant take that to heart and be happy. please help because its no fun to wake up depressed and go to sleep angry. thanks.

A.

One of my favorite quotes is from Abraham Maslow regarding the taking of things for granted: “I have also become convinced that getting used to our blessings is one of the most important nonevil generators of human evil, tragedy, and suffering.” When we take things for granted, we undervalue them. We tend to only appreciate aspects of our lives and people after they are gone. We should always try to appreciate what we have, the goodness in our lives and the people we love.

Having said that, it can be difficult to appreciate the goodness in our lives when feeling apathetic or depressed. Whatever is causing your unhappiness likely did not come out of nowhere. There is always a reason for our feelings even if it isn’t obvious to us. In fact, many unhappy people have no idea why they are unhappy. They just know that they feel bad but can’t identify why. You could benefit from counseling. Therapists are objective, trained experts in these matters. A therapist can determine what’s wrong and develop a plan to fix it.

I would recommend calling at least five therapists and speaking to them over the phone, explaining what’s wrong. That might sound daunting, but therapists are very easy to talk to and are used to these types of calls. Ask each of them if they’ve helped people with similar problems and if they’ve had good results. Choose the one with whom you connect with the most. You might also try asking your primary care physician for a referral. They are often aware of good therapists in the community. Please take care.