Home » Autism » How Are Adults Diagnosed Aspergers?

How Are Adults Diagnosed Aspergers?

From the U.S.: I have many characteristics for Aspergers and have just begun tx for DID and social anxiety issues. I ask my team about Aspergers diagnosis and feel like they are hesitant to address my concerns after having seen me only once. My previous (now retired) hinted by suggestion that I might find it interesting and/or helpful for me to research Aspergers syndrome but stopped short of actually giving the diagnosis. The research I have done has helped me greatly as I finally feel like I have found identity and explanation for much of what I have experienced in my life.

How Are Adults Diagnosed Aspergers?

A.

You are a complicated person with several complicated diagnoses. I understand why your team is reluctant to add Aspergers to the list until they know you better.

There is a screening quiz for Aspergers on PsychCentral that might be helpful to you. Go to https://psychcentral.com/quizzes/autism.htm.

Like your team, I encourage you to research the Autism Spectrum Disorders. Look especially at books and articles about late diagnosis.

Many people who discover they have Aspergers later in life are relieved when they get the diagnosis. It may answer many questions you have about your relationships and how you have lived your life.

If you would like to read about someone else who discovered his diagnosis in mid-life, I suggest you read Be Different by John Elder Robison.

I ‘m impressed that, in your 60’s, you continue to work on yourself. I do believe it’s never too late to search for answers and thus improve your life.

How Are Adults Diagnosed Aspergers?