Home » Mind Creates Life or Death Scenarios that Need Resolving when Unoccupied, Very Disturbing

Mind Creates Life or Death Scenarios that Need Resolving when Unoccupied, Very Disturbing

Often while driving or otherwise undistracted I will find myself with life or death scenarios to resolve, sometimes one after the other. Once this went on every day, every unoccupied minute it seemed, for a month creating a lot of emotional stress for me and it started affecting my mood which affected my relationships. At its worst this can go on until I have something sufficient to occupy myself. Music worked at first but later I had to be working on something. While focused on a task I do not find the problem to occur and lately I am not experiencing this every day, or even every week but it is still happening.

I have also noticed that following these episodes I find a section of my mind detaches and starts psychoanalyzing myself, asking questions, expected answers, trying to resolve the underlying issue. That part of my mind has suggested that maybe its all in my head, but also that the fact that I am taking to a therapist that only comes out in these situations that maybe its a real issue.

What is going on?

A.

You could be describing rumination. To ruminate is to think about something over and over again to the point of distress. Rumination is associated with depression and anxiety. The fact that it’s causing you so much distress suggests that you need help. You should consult, in-person, a mental health professional.

It’s unclear if you are currently in counseling. If not, you should be. Counseling could help you refocus your mind.

This is a highly correctable problem with counseling and possibly with medication. I hope that you will consider seeking help. It could help you immensely. Please take care.