Home » Uneasy about Wife’s Psychiatrist

Uneasy about Wife’s Psychiatrist

From the U.S.: My wife was prescribed sertraline, lorazepam and trazodone by a psychiatrist she had one video chat with for complaining about a variety of mental health issues. After an hour or so “therapy session” the psychiatrist told my wife she was giving a few mild medications that didn’t have any side effects. The psychiatrist also said to me that it would be fine if there was no one around to check in on my wife during the first few weeks of starting these medications, after I expressed my concern that I was concerned she might hurt herself if she was left alone (I am in the army and was suppose to go on a month long training exercise the day after my wife was prescribed these meds). And she then called my commander and disclosed specific information about my wife’s therapy session; even though we only asked if she could recommend that I stay back from the training so I could watch my wife during the first couple of weeks of taking these new medications.

The whole thing just seemed (at least) very unprofessional to me. My question is, did the psychiatrist make any mistakes? If yes, what were they? And Did she do anything illegal? Thank you for any help you can offer.

(Also yes my wife signed a confidentiality form at the beginning of the session saying everything said during the session would remain confidential.)

Uneasy about Wife’s Psychiatrist

A.

Every state has a review board to address concerns like yours. In your state, it is the Office of Professional Medical Conduct in the Dept of Health. Go to the website and look at the section on Rules, Regulations and Laws. You can submit a complaint by clicking on the “File a Complaint” tab.

Please do follow through. Your wife deserves good treatment. You both deserve peace of mind that she is getting it.

I wish you both well.

Uneasy about Wife’s Psychiatrist