Home » Ask the Therapist » Truth about a Fatal Motorcycle Accident

Truth about a Fatal Motorcycle Accident

I saw two motorcycles race past my house a few nights ago than I heard a loud bang and glass breaking a second later. Then I heard a lot of screaming. I went inside to get a phone and I called 911. One of the motorcyclists had t-boned a car making a left across the street a few houses down. I was the second neighbor to the scene and expected the worst. When I got there the first neighbor was trying to talk to the driver of the car and the screaming was coming from a group of the motorcyclists’ friends who witnessed the accident because they were there watching the motorcycles race. I went to the motorcyclist and instantly knew he was gone and that he went in an instant. I tried calming down the spectators and getting people back until help arrived. A few of the spectators started to become hostile. They began throwing things at the nearly split in half car and yelling threats to the driver and myself. I became so angry at them I decided to walk away. I could hear police coming so I decided to slow down and redirect traffic on the usually busy road. Now here’s what I’m having trouble dealing with:

Local news reports:
“The crash took pace on East Padonia Road, when — was traveling east and collided with a 2017 Toyota Corolla making a left from Treherne Road onto a west-bound travel lane of Padonia Road near Dulaney High School. Dezurn was pronounced dead at the scene, police said. The 26-year-old man driving the Toyota was taken to shock trauma, where his condition was unknown Sunday.”

The motorcyclist was racing and was probably doing 100mph. There is no way the car driver would have seen them from the stop sign and the motorcyclists knew what the risks were because they already had their friends there to watch them race.

Social media and local news forums are full of furious comments about the driver and I really want to let people know what really happened. As terrible as the death of someone is, I want to tell the world the truth. How can I do that? Should I do it? I’m sure the police investigation will prove me right but why there is much hatred and blame towards someone that can’t defend themselves? Thanks.

Truth about a Fatal Motorcycle Accident

A.

It is important that all true citizens work to improve their community. You went to the crash site and you tried to help the victims but were repelled by angry observers. There is an inherent risk in riding a motorcycle. One small stone, one unseen pothole, loose dirt on the road, all can be fatal for the person on the motorcycle. Under the best of conditions, riding a motorcycle is more dangerous than driving a car. If you do a little research, you will quickly see what appears to be a rising national problem with a certain type of motorcyclist, who deliberately violates traffic laws and then runs away from chasing police. These motorcyclists have fled the scene, gone to great lengths to outmaneuver police officers and have reached speeds of 170 mph on our public roads. At those speeds, the motorcyclist will not survive a crash and his motorcycle becomes a lethal missile, if it hits a car.

According to your letter, these motorcyclists were racing at speeds of 100 mph. Yes, they were aware of the fact that a crash would likely prove fatal, but they chose to race with their friends watching.

It is not up to you or I to determine the facts. It is up to the police to do an investigation and come to their conclusions. Every good citizen, should do their utmost to help every police officer. Since the founding of our country, we the people have made the laws through our elected representatives and we have created a police force to enforce those laws. They are our laws and we should do our best to live up to those laws. We should be offended when anyone breaks our laws and if we are dissatisfied with any laws we should work hard to have our representatives change those laws but until they are changed we must obey those laws.

Our police are underpaid and often under respected. They are not all perfect but then not all attorneys or judges or surgeons are perfect. We should do our best to get rid of bad attorneys, bad judges, bad surgeons, and bad police officers. Bad attorneys should be disbarred, bad judges should be removed from the bench, bad surgeons should have their licenses revoked and bad police officers should be retrained or fired.

The vast majority of police officers are quite good. They serve us the public and we should honestly and sincerely thank them for their service. Never let us forget that they put their lives on the line every time they stop a car for a traffic violation or they answer a 911 call.

We as American citizens should do everything in our power to help our police. We as a society have asked them to do a job for us and we should be grateful and fully supportive of those who have chosen to serve us.

You should call the police department, ask to talk to the investigating officers and offer your help. Perhaps they will accept your offer or perhaps not but I would be willing to bet that they will both thank you for your offer and treat you with respect. They deserve that same respect and never less.

If you feel that an injustice is being done to the driver of the car, in the social media, then you should feel free to post your honest and sincerely felt comments. Again, it doesn’t matter what you or I believe the truth to be, it only matters that which is ultimately proven to be the truth and that will certainly be best determined by the police, through their investigation. Thank you, for being a good citizen.

Truth about a Fatal Motorcycle Accident