Home » Curious about the Way I Talk to Myself

Curious about the Way I Talk to Myself

Ever since i was a kid i talked to myself and i knew i talked to myself – i just never acknowledged i did it in the way i did and that it wasn’t usual. when I talk to myself, it is as if my mind is split in half and i will say something like “yeah i wondered that too” and then the other part will respond saying something like “yeah me either, it was weird.” and it will always be that way, as if it a conversation with myself and i respond to my self. Like i am two different people. Recently I’ve been wondering about it and realizing , wow this isn’t typical.

Curious about the Way I Talk to Myself

A.

The idea of a “mind [that is] split in half, or a “split mind,” is a common misconception about mental illnesses. It comes from the word schizophrenia that means “split mind.” Many people take it to mean that a person has multiple personalities. People with multiple personalities might have dissociative identity disorder (DID) and not schizophrenia. DID is a rare disorder and likely not applicable in your situation.

I don’t have enough information to know why you talk to yourself, but it’s more typical than you might realize. It might be your way of calming yourself when stressed. Perhaps it helps you to think through difficult problems or to organize your thoughts. It could be a function of a developing brain. New research has indicated that the teenage brain does not reach full maturity until about the age of 25. Whatever the reason, it is generally not a problem unless it’s causing you significant distress. Thankfully, that doesn’t seem to be the case. Thank you for your question. Please take care.

Curious about the Way I Talk to Myself