Home » Ask the Therapist » I Don’t Like Being around People

I Don’t Like Being around People

From a teen in the U.S.: I feel a sense of relief and happiness when I am alone, but my family is social. We go to parties and gatherings, where I would prefer to be in my room, ALONE. My family doesn’t realize that, they like, I am online the whole time when I am just lying there. What can I do?

I Don’t Like Being around People

A.

What you can do is get out of your room and offline. My guess is that you like to be alone because you are uncomfortable around other people. Being online gives you the illusion of relationships without having to take the risk of being judged as socially awkward.

Unfortunately, you can’t gain social skills without being social. I suggest you do some research on how to develop those social skills and put them into practice. Start slow. When your family takes you to events, make it a point to talk to a few people.

Here’s one reminder: You probably know that most people love to talk about themselves and their interests. Just think of a few questions to ask them and you don’t have to say much. That will give you some much-needed practice.

I Don’t Like Being around People