Home » Voices In My Head?

Voices In My Head?

I have over the last few days been having voices in my head commenting on my thoughts and small events in my life, tell me I’m going to be ok, etc.

For awhile (year or two) I have times, especially when under lots of stress, I’ll get this feeling.. Like someone sent me a thought. I thought maybe it was God telling me something. But I realized the thoughts weren’t based on reality.. I concluded that it was just my very stressed brain’s way of coping. Because it was usually comforting thoughts that related to what I was stressed about.
I’ve had the feeling that I can sense when someone reads my text messages. I’ve proven that wrong. I still think it.

Now I’ve been having voices.. I know these voices aren’t real. I know they are only in my head, similar to those thoughts. I don’t hear them with my ears. Its not really hearing voices, it’s more like having voices. Its almost like those thoughts just turned into voices.

I have a therapist who I see every month and a half and I’m diagnosed with anxiety and social anxiety. I don’t trust her to tell her much of the big things.(like this) I have a HUGE fear of abandonment, depressed some,suicidal thoughts (which she knows) and occasionally anger problems, and HUGE problem trusting people. I’ve been emotionally abused all my childhood until age 17. I’ve had to take on the role of a parent so often since age 6-7 and no one was there for me until now that I’m older and have 3 great friends.:) I have trouble with trusting them enough to be friends a lot though. They’re trying to help me.

I feel very hollow and empty. My mom has Schizophrenia. She developed it 3 yrs ago. I’m afraid I’ll get it too. If I am getting it I want to catch it early on.

I know you can’t diagnose over the internet, but is this concerning? What is your advice? Thank you in advance.

Voices In My Head?

A.

You said that you have been diagnosed with anxiety disorders. The voices you described are generally consistent with those disorders and not with a psychotic disorder. People with psychotic disorders hear voices that are not their own. The voices might be your conscious mind trying to calm you when your stress level is high. That is a plausible explanation.

It’s also common for some people with anxiety disorders to believe that they are developing other, more serious ailments. People who are preoccupied with the idea of having a serious illness might have a diagnosable anxiety disorder called, as of the latest edition of the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM-5), illness anxiety disorder.

The fact that you continue to have symptoms might be attributable to only going to therapy every month and a half. That’s an unusually long time between sessions. You could benefit from more frequent sessions.

Part of why you only go to therapy every six weeks might stem from your not trusting your therapist. You don’t tell her “big things” and therefore, it’s going to be difficult for her to help you. If you were honest with her about everything that is wrong, she could help you more effectively which, in all likelihood, would build trust in the relationship. She can only work with the information that you provide to her. Withholding information about your life hinders her ability to help you and therefore limits your progress. You might have more success in therapy if you were more honest.

The probability of your having schizophrenia, because your mother has it, is only slightly higher than if you did not have a family member with schizophrenia. In addition, you did not say how old your mother is but you did indicate that she developed schizophrenia only three years ago. It seems that she developed it much later in life than the norm. It’s unusual to develop schizophrenia over the age of 40. It does happen, but it’s unusual.

I would encourage you to report your concerns to your therapist and to increase the frequency of your therapy sessions. It might help to reduce your fears and help you to overcome these problems. Please take care.

Voices In My Head?