Home » Ask the Therapist » I’m so Introverted, Who Do I Tell My Problems to?

I’m so Introverted, Who Do I Tell My Problems to?

Asked by on with 1 answer:

From a teen in the UK: I have never been diagnosed with any type of issue. But slowly, I’m feeling so lost and confused. Nothing excites me anymore, I just pretend to be happy so the people around me don’t try and console and feel sorry for me. I hate attention.

Lately, I’ve been having a few breakdowns in front of my family, which is the worst feeling in the world. They keep asking me questions to why I feel this way and I keep pushing them away.

I prefer it when I cry and feel sad by myself, I don’t like to get anyone involved because they just won’t understand.

My sister who also suffered for depression didn’t even help me, when I even tried to attempt to make conversation about the topic, it went out the window. According to my sister, I am a drama queen and over exaggerate the terms of depression. My parents don’t even believe depression exists. They have very opinionated views about them.

I’m even too young to go to a doctor. I’m stuck, lost and I don’t know who to talk to.
After failed attempts to connect with someone, slowly I’m getting smaller and smaller and don’t feel like making conversation with anyone. That topic of being sad is pushed to the back of my mind because I don’t want anyone to be sympathetic and I don’t want people to care about me for the sake of it.

I don’t want to leave the house, all I do is watch television and curl up in a blanket. It’s easy to get bored. What do I even do now?

I’m so Introverted, Who Do I Tell My Problems to?

Answered by on -


What you do now is make an appointment with your physician. You are not too young to see a doctor. At 16, it’s possible that part of the problem may be medical. Endocrine issues are often a contributing factor in symptoms like yours.

If you are medically okay, then it is time see a counselor. If your parents don’t support you in doing so, I suggest you talk to a school counselor or a teacher you trust and ask that person to intercede for you. Often adults are more likely to listen to another adult than to a teenager.

You can also do more to help yourself. Get away from the TV and your blanket and do something for other people. Find a volunteer position that matches your interests and that puts you alongside other people your age. Working together takes the pressure off being social. Friendships develop naturally when people share interest and effort in a cause. Being a contributing member of your community will do much for your self-esteem.

I wish you well.
Dr. Marie

I’m so Introverted, Who Do I Tell My Problems to?

Therapists live, online right now, from BetterHelp:

Dr. Marie Hartwell-Walker

Dr. Marie is licensed as both a psychologist and marriage and family counselor. She specializes in couples and family therapy and parent education. Follow her on Facebook or Twitter.

APA Reference
Hartwell-Walker, D. (2018). I’m so Introverted, Who Do I Tell My Problems to?. Psych Central. Retrieved on December 2, 2020, from
Scientifically Reviewed
Last updated: 8 May 2018 (Originally: 16 Aug 2016)
Last reviewed: By a member of our scientific advisory board on 8 May 2018
Published on Psych All rights reserved.