Home » Ask the Therapist » Parenting » My Child Calls Another Woman Mother

My Child Calls Another Woman Mother

From the U.S.: My 2 year old saw a picture of her father’s ex girlfriend and called her mother. I brought it to his attention and he stated how he never brought my daughter around her and does not know why she would call her mother. I need help on how to move on and cope with this because it really is bothering me. I don’t trust her father and feel he is lying.

My Child Calls Another Woman Mother

A.

Please relax. Your child is two. Two-year-olds don’t yet fully understand relationships. Two-year-olds are still mastering language. It may be that your child thinks any adult woman is called “mother.” That doesn’t take anything away from your relationship with your own child. I assure you: Your child knows who his/her mother is.

A bigger problem is your distrust of your child’s father. To ensure that your child will have the very best chance to grow up emotionally healthy, the two of you need to co-parent well. You need to trust him enough to be relaxed when she is in his care. If you can’t to that, please consider getting into couples therapy with him. Relationships are built on trust. If you two don’t have that, your relationship will always be fragile. You deserve better. Your child deserves parents who love and trust each other.

My Child Calls Another Woman Mother